Saturday, March 10, 2007

Hey, Where Is My Filet O Fish?

I went to the Ibn Battuta Mall yesterday to catch 2 movies at Grand Cinemas 21. Grand Cinemas now allows movie goers to buy their tickets online. Pretty convenient if you ask me. At least, now, I don't have to go to the box office at least 2 hours in advance and join the long queues to get my preferred seats when I watch a movie. I will elaborate more on the e-ticket option in another post.

My first movie was scheduled for screening at 8pm. I reached the Mall at 7pm, spent a few minutes looking for a car park space.

TIP: If you need to park near China City, there is a double storey cark park at the covered car park. Enter the covered car park, go on straight, exit and turn right up the ramp to the 2nd level. Plenty of car park lots, even if the covered car park is full.

As I came down the stairs, I saw a Scotch 3M tinting shop within the car park. Made a mental note to myself that I should check out the prices since summer is coming and I need to tint my car windows soon.

As always, the Mall was crowded, given that this is a Friday evening. Fought my way through the crowd to get to the food court at the other end of the Mall. For those of you who don't know, Ibn Battuta Mall is the largest themed mall to date in the Middle East, so it takes quite a bit of effort to walk from one end to the other end.

By the time I got to the food court, having stopped by a few shops on the way, I had 30 minutes left before screening started and about 20 minutes left to eat since I'll be fighting my way in the crowd again to get back to China Court. So, it has got to be fast food. So McDonalds it shall be. This guy, Mariel was his name, I think, took my order.

"Filet O Fish meal, please"

"Sir, for 1 dirham, you can upsize to a larger Coke and fries."

"No, just give me the regular."

"Sir, that will be 14 dirhams."

Gave him 20 dirhams. He gave me my change, and place my regular Coke and fries on a serving tray and said "Sir, you will have to wait 2 minutes for your Filet O Fish. You can wait here", pointing to the a corner at the serving counter, "or over there", pointing to a table adjacent to the counter.

"Alright, I will wait at the table."

Took my Coke and fries, and went to the table and started eating, turning my back with every munch to see if they'll call me to get my Filet O Fish. My fries were half finished and so was my Coke. Mariel was nowhere in sight. He's probably gone off to do kitchen duty. So I approached his colleague, an Indian guy, and asked "Hi, I am waiting for my Filet O Fish." He turned back, checked the burgers, checked the fryer and said "Sir, 1 minute more." Alright, I've waited for 2 minutes, another minute won't kill.

I had finished my Coke and fries, still no sign of my Filet O Fish. Mariel has reappeared with a mop, and he has happily moping the floor, chatting with his colleagues. I approached the counter again. The Indian guy saw me coming, turned his face to avert my line of sight. His other colleagues were either busy with customers or simply oblivious to the fact that I needed some help with the service. Mariel was still chatting and moping away. I stood there for 30 seconds, and then I raised my voice and said "Mariel, hey Mariel, where is my Filet O Fish?"

Mariel seemed a little embarrassed, but is that my problem? His female colleague turned to look at the burgers, and sitting there were not 1 but 3 Filet O Fishes. She took 1 and gave it to me. No "Thank you, sir", no "Sorry to keep you waiting, sir". Nothing.

I don't know about other countries, but in Singapore or in Thailand, if you have to wait for your burger, the burger will be brought to you at your table when it is ready. I suppose in some situations, you need to put your foot down to get what you want or else you will never get it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home